Monday, November 28, 2011

Truth

Another image taken with the new Holga 120 Panoramic camera. This was taken in Dogtown, Gloucester, MA. A couple of early observations on this camera. Earlier test images I saw posted online didn't seem to have much in the way of that Holga edge focus fall off. But there appears to be significant loss of focus on both left and right hand sides of the initial roll I shot. Which is a pleasant surprise for me, anyway. Why would anyone want a Holga with crisp edges? There does not, however, appear to be any vignetting whatsoever on these images. If you like those dark corners, perhaps this isn't the camera for you. I thought the vignetting on the 6x17 Holga pinhole was too excessive for my tastes anyway (to the point where I sold it after shooting one roll). This camera is only a 6x12 format and I shot these images with the factory mask in place. Perhaps removing the mask would change the look of the corners and edges somewhat. The 90mm "optical" lens that comes with the camera seems to cover the frame quite well.
More to come.
BTW, click on the image in order to see it larger.

3 comments:

  1. Its almost lensbabyesque. Nice image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be quite a place! A forest of abstract concepts ... and a wonderful photo, especially the shadows.

    And I agree, the edge blur is quite beautiful. I wonder whether the difference between what you'd seen online and what you're seeing with your camera could be an example of the uniqueness of each Holga? Fwiw, with my Holga 120N, I did find that I got more vignetting without the mask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great result! I get the same blurred edge with my sardina and I really like it, though it took me a while to get used to the idea...

    ReplyDelete