Friday, June 17, 2011

Another Transfer onto Birch

This is a recent ink transfer from an older image. For this transfer, I sealed the wood so that the alcohol gel mixture would sit on the wood and not soak in.
 I applied a very liberal amount of alcohol gel to the wood and let the transfer material sit in place for about five minutes. I slowly (and I mean very slowly) removed the transfer material.
 The excessive amount of alcohol gel caused many bubbles and dark cracks in the image, which is what I was going for here. After drying, I applied three coats of a spray gloss polyurethane and one coat of paste wax. It has a wonderful depth to it which is pretty hard to display from a flatbed scan. And I love all the imperfections caused by the alcohol gel solution. Ultimately I am trying to achieve something which has the feel of a wet plate image. I probably will attempt this on glass as well. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. From what I can see on screen, you're well on your way! I love the dreamlike look...and I admire your creativity with these techniques.

    ReplyDelete